Wednesday, June 13, 2007

why do people blog?

For the first time, i actively went blog-hopping to read something that would interest/entertain. For the most part, the journey was happy. Till the end that ie, which is when I found myself asking why people write blogs-it to be read by others or just as a record of daily personal cribs and raves? Maybe its to be understood better or to discuss topics of common interest?
I think entries about movies/ travelogues/anecdotes are great-very involving and at least you end up with more information. Reading opinions is fun too-different strokes for different folks. And since im tech duh- i like info, even if its a helpful deluge.
Diary type entries just elicit a massive yawn-yeah, everyone wakes up and all that blah. Who cares about whether you spent a day pretending to be a vegetable or cooking one. I think as a rule, diary blog entries should just be titled dear diary to avoid any accidental and regrettable clicks. (i know i will do that-to know that my last entry was about my cold !!hehe). Self-indulgence is a very sticky vice. (no connection to the Sticky rice at AMK-passable fare)

The question remains-Dont know-lack the energy to think about this right now or maybe that's my excuse for not wanting to confront the question myself. And maybe, it just aint that deep after all.
I think I'm writing coz I like it and coz it would be rather touching to find my kids reading this 10 years from now and giving me a classic roll of the eye.
And yes, I made that up as I was writing it-so no deep seated desire of domesticity and changing nappies :) The question is sweetly evasive..aint it?- especially for bloggers.

2 comments:

Rahul said...

I often wonder myself. I think after the first couple of entries, it becomes like an addiction and then it dosen't matter as to how badly you write or how inane the topic is, u must write something and then check the statcounter every night.....

when you find visitors dropping, just go to random blogs and leave comments like I do...:-). By the way, I hate the diary type entries, particularly, the pretentious psuedo intellectual ones.

Anonymous said...

Mostly bloggers crave for eyeballs ... some convert 'em to moolah .. while some garner publicity ... and it soon becomes a love-affair once the clicks start to come ... a few more comments like these and i'll see you posting more frequently !!