Monday, December 15, 2008

Waded in the Sea of Blue

On 7th Dec,2008, M and I completed 10 km in 67 mins and 74 mins respectively. But since this is my blog, guess who the exclusive bragging rights went to?
The 2008 StanChart Singapore Marathon was hugely inspiring. For there were 7700 women who ran 10 km and the person writing this was a part of that statistic. In total, 47000 people participated and hopefully completed the race in different categories- 10 km was the "fun run", in case you took the part about me bragging seriously. The winner completed the race in a little more than 2 hrs. Yes, that's right- there are human beings who are capable of running 42 km in that time.
I loved the way the event was so well organized- there were very visible and very accurate signs leading to the venue. There were sufficient baggage counters and a 5 seconds waiting time. There were enough and more volunteers to help, in case you suffered from the disease of being able to ignore very visible and very accurate signs. There were plenty of mobile toilets, drinks stations and first aid counters. There was also total respect for order and punctuality.
You can tell by that glowing paragraph that I will run again next year- to wade in the sea of blue yet again. In 2009, I will train better and make an effor to conquer 21 kms. My target is 2 hrs. And my middle name just became determination.
(that sounded better in my head-oh, whatever)

4 comments:

SD said...

Ye, ye, ye...... cheering hard for you, and I am sure you will do great next year.

Anuradha Sridhar said...

Wow .. all the best!! :) Himani was telling me that the gift hampers were excellent in Delhi this time.. was it the case in S'pore as well?

Quirky Quill said...

Thanks GM and Anu!
Anu- the gift hampers were useful- energy bar, muscle pain reliever etc- i guess that could count as excellent?

Anonymous said...

Woohoo I am always in awe of runners.Isnt Singpapore always so organized and neat and at times almost so clinical and mechanical.

I can now do a 10-15 jog without dying. Hoping to make it to 30 mins and 5k and then will sign up for a 5k run or something like that.:)Still looking for a good support for the "girls" though.

PS:The Crocs..I oreder 6 new ones for the kids before I left CO. Got them 2 weeks ago.