Saturday, August 25, 2012

The 'Just married please excuse' contest

This is from 2008- a mere 3 months after we had been married :) four years and a baby later, it still seems funny enough to repost for Y'sbook contest and a healthy dash of nostalgia.
(http://www.yashodharalal.com/2012/08/the-just-married-please-excuse-contest.html)

 It's supposed to be a well known and widely acknowledged fact that a boy needs only two belts- brown and black. Since I was on an expedition to another galaxy when they made one and all aware of the above fact, I merrily bought M 3 belts on his birthday. You know, I thought variety would be nice. Also, I have a technical flaw-can't really buy ONE of anything. As far as I can remember, clothes and accessories have always been bought by me in 2's and 3's. If I thought the ridicule and laughs that followed the unveiling of the gifts was the worst that could happen, I was wrong. You see, M also has a technical flaw- he's a boy. And by definition, that means ridding self of all accessories-wallet, watch, company id, coins, handkerchief- at no fixed spot, each time one comes back home. The dining table, the centre table, the desk, the kitchen counter, the ironing board, the bar counter, the side crockery cabinet, my dressing table, the printer- all have been blessed at some point or the other with his highness' mess. Now the wallet, company id, watch etc are all essentials and leave with the bearer the next morning- all except the belt because thanks to the generous wife, he proudly owns FIVE of them- 5 belts to strew around the house, as he pleases. So the belts sit pretty in their corners- only to be discovered during the weekly dusting mission. To twist a line from Asian Paints: Har ghar ka kona kuch kehta hai. Ki is konay mein har week ek naya belt rehta hai. Now I know why boys only need 2 belts. I also know what self inflicted pain means. ******************************************************
In his mind, M equates the bed to an open cupboard, with the result, that the actual cupboard yearns to be populated with clothes, socks or even belts, while the bed in the guest room resembles a clothes' village after a typhoon. The disarray does not attract M's attention but puts me in distress mode. So I neatly fold all his clothes and restore the bed to some degree of order only to have M tell me in an excited voice " You know our house has magic elves. They fold clothes!" M also refers to the part time maid as our weekly fairy godmother. Sigh. Do you know of a fairy tale character who spanks kids who mess up their rooms? M needs to be introduced to that character. Before I become the wicked witch of the north/west. *************************************************** We've watched quite a few Hindi movies heavy on Urdu/Punjabi words in the recent past (Khuda Kay Liye, A Wednesday, Singh is King)- enough to have taught M the use of words & phrases such as " fakr hai", "mehfooz", "mehsoos", "ijaazat", "bhootni ke", "kamaal hai", which he uses in the most unlikely situations- e..g instead of how are you, he asks me "sab khairiyat?" on chat! Sounds ever more hilarious in person- the lovely Tam accent accentuates the fun :) ******************************************************** We watch animal planet quite regularly and he keeps asking me for animals' names in Hindi. And since, I havent yet mastered the art of shoving my foot in my mouth, I tell him. He's using baby magarmachch (crocodile) , baby gilahari (squirrel) and lakkadbagghi (hyena)as terms of endearment for me. I quite like gilahari, though. Posted by Quirky Quill at 11:38 AM Labels: life has a sense of humour, pyaar ke side effects

10 comments:

Roli Bhushan-Malhotra said...

Loved the last one! Magic elves, indeed!!

Roli Bhushan-Malhotra said...

Also, how do I 'follow' your blog? Cant see no friend connect :(

Parama Ghosh said...

awesome post. I loved each and every of them.

Vrijilesh Rai said...

Hilarious account!

The QQ impresses me!

Anonymous said...

I like his nicknames for you, especially lakadbagghi. Good luck with the contest

Yashodhara said...

Thanks QQ :)...nice one!

The B!G 'F' said...

Came across your blog through google search and landed here - http://quirkyquill.blogspot.in/2010_03_01_archive.html - loved it. A few friends and I are totally capable of having a similar conversation .. haha.. Plz blog often, you have a regular visitor in me :)

-F

dipali said...

He needs only one single double sided black and brown belt! Give away the rest. I like his endearments:)

Unknown said...

Roli, Parama, Vrijilesh, Meera,Y, F- Thanks, its been more than a year since i blogged and it was really nice to get your comments.
Dipali- that was then. in the past 4 years, i've come to accept some of the mess and for the mess i can't stand, i have full time help :)

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.