Monday, December 10, 2007

Eye Sa Lah!

No. An ordinary sty wouldn't have done. Some vague rash-too pedestrian. My eye needed something grander. So it opted for a chalazion- which by the way, looks exactly like a sty but since it is grander & sounds more sophisticated- fancies itself a much much longer & indefinite stay on the eyelid.
I'm compelled to write about this "thing" on my left eye which developed sometime in May, starting out as a small swelling but by sheer determination (by the glands on my eyelid) and by utter neglect (my own), has grown to be quite a nuisance. To be fair, its a painless bump on the left eyelid which causes only a very minor incovenience-no eye make up; but has become a "grr point", thanks to the predictable barrage of questions & reactions it invites.
At first, people shy a second glance and then when they've acquired enough courage or have astutely established the presence of a swelling on my eye that deserves to be questioned, pop the exclamation-first in a series of many....
" Oh there's something on your eye!"
Those who pride themselves on their acute sense of observation come up with a diagnosis:
"oh something's bitten you on your eye"
(this is accompanied by them pointing to their own eye to show me the exact location of the "thing"). The assumption being that I lack either a mirror or any sensation in my eye or both. At these times, I'm tempted to give them sheets of paper and crayons so they can draw me a delightful, colorful diagram.
When I deny the existence of an insect bite and tell them its a chalazion-they are partly outraged at their superior judgement being questioned and partly confused at what the hell a chalazion is. So they proceed to:
"Oh, its a sty!"
"Why dont you go see a doctor?"
" Are you taking any medicines?"
"What did the doctor say?"
"When will it disappear?"
" How did it happen?"
"Does it hurt?"
" How can you prevent it from happening again?"
Explanations & details such as this thing being painless and having been there since 6 months, having to do nothing with make-up or my diet or any other deliberate action of mine are neatly ignored. They are convinced that this hurts and that I'm responsible-they just have to trace the steps back to the scene of the crime.
Facial contortions follow if I do happen to let out that this will have to be removed surgically.
"Oh so painful!"
"How awful!"
" Is there no other way"
Of course not, I just thought a surgery sounded like a fun thing to do. And yeah, buddy, those exclamantion marks sure help in easing out the pain and preparing me for the minor surgery (which I'm assured by my doc-takes only a couple of hours and about 2-3 days of rest).
So if you've seen me in the past few days or months and have been bursting with curiosity about the "ugly" thing on my left eye- Here's where you should go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalazion
It would have been thoughtful of me and convenient for you if I'd just put up an FAQ list on my eyelid, right next to the chalazion-but I've kind of grown fond of the 6 month old "thing"-don't really want to offend it 2 months before I make it go under the knife.
I knew you'd understand.
ps- I do realize that most of these questions would have & continue to come from well meaning and thoughtful individuals, but pls realize-collectively, the same questions everyday, become quite a pain.
- I want to start SFAAC (society for awareness about chalazion). If people are as generous about donations as they are with questions-this society will never be cash-strapped.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is 'I understand'. I am not saying it for the sake of it but more because I am also going thru something similar. The only difference is instead of the eye, I got a small cyst like thing on my right foot. And since its the foot i tend to hide it more often, but still whenever someone gets a glance of it...you sure know wt happens :-))

Anyways good luck with your surgery.

unpredictable said...

Man i didnt realize there was something on your eye anymore ... Or or .. i saw but decided to leave you alone .. how nice am i!

On a serious note, good luck with the operation!

Mahogany said...

Um, if I said that was hilarious would that make me appreciative or insensitive or both?

Quirky Quill said...

Kaivs & Unpred- thanks-I repeat, surgery is minor and in feb.
Mahogany- well, that would make you a discerning person with good taste :D

Anonymous said...

well.. i just got the insect bite part right... and steered clear of all the other stuff :)

Quirky Quill said...

Rayappa-that explains why you are still alive :)

Unknown said...

and I guess I did not even notice it :) was lil too occupied with the dhoklas i guess ...

Quirky Quill said...

hmm..am wondering who you are, besides being lucky (with the dhoklas :)

raman said...

ewwww.
hope it gets better.

Quirky Quill said...

well, it won't get better :( it just has to be surgically removed. Cruel me.Poor me.

ShiSul said...

considering that most ppl don't even seem to have noticed it, looks like you've just shot yourself in the leg with all those details babe! now, you're most chalazion is most definitely going to get more attention! (pardon my attempt at rhyme - would blame all my french classes for forgetting how '-tion'sounds in good,old Anglais)

Quirky Quill said...

Shisul dahling, trust me-"what happened to your eye" is a question that I encounter everyday! But now the answer is simple-the link to the blog-Simple solution and publicity too :P Im dying to hear French in your Gult accent :D

Anonymous said...

hehehe..Quite an outburst and too much attention for the poor thing. [:)]. Loved the expression when u were asked the same thing in the lift few days back.. :P .. to help ur cause i can try sending some random ppl to ask u the same stuff so that u go beyond the tipping point and dont feel it anymore. [:D] (Abhishek S )

Quirky Quill said...

Abhishek-I and my army of two chalazions will then have no choice but to hound you. Better still, I and R can refuse to share our food and movies with you :P

Divya said...

Lolz....have you thought...how much the people who hound you with questions about it now will miss it...I can hear, "ooh, what happened to that sty/ bump/ entity on your eye...you don't look the same without it, and with the eye makeup...!!" that'll call for another round of blogging!! haha. put another wiki link...end of the chalazion!!

Quirky Quill said...

LOL- i think i can tackle those questions with more grace than i currently display when people bug me with this question.