Thursday, September 25, 2008

Keeping Track

Error of omission. Forgot to update my running chart. This is just a running log. Go away. Actually, since you are 1 of the 10 people who read this blog, stay! :) I promise to not bore you too much.
Day 3- 10 laps. 4 kms.28 mins. My fledgling career best. I surprised myself. And the expression on M's face was somewhere betweeen delight and shock. I do realize I mentioned this in my earlier post, but what the heck- it's a glossy achievement as far as I'm concerned. Better be prepared to put up with it. For the next 10 years, at least.
Day4- 2.4 kms ( i was so disappointed with my horrible performance, i didnt even bother with the time)- though to my credit- it was blazing hot at 5 pm!! And the running track way too crowded. You could think of it as an excuse. But then what an excuse- look at what it inspired me to do!!
Day5- 11 laps. 4.4 kms. 28 mins 30s.+ 1.2 km of walking- So proud of myself. Though my family is a bit horrified at my registration at the marathon- they are very used to the idea of a seemingly "kamzor" creature who doesnt have the stamina to do a thing. (that I have become a fat blob escapes their notice. I love my family!) My mom was quite concerned and told me to take it easy or i'd be discovered "pada hua" on some road. My bro asked me whether i could manage 2 km and snorted off a very disbelieving "achcha" when i bragged about doing double the distance. But well, it's to be expected. Because it follows years of disinclination towards any physical activity. The cynicism actually makes me feels nice coz I'm doing something that's not expected from me. The rebel without a cause in me is most pleased.
Day6- 10 laps. 4 kms. 27 mins. + 1 km of walking. I'm glad about the consistency. Though a tad worried. Hope I havent reached a plateau. October shall have to give me the strength to run 15 laps at bare minimum!

Meanwhile, the boy who I live with has gone bonkers. He insists on taking protein supplements, popping vitamins, reading stuff on how to get a flat stomach by eating fibre and salads & pasta (for the record, he detested eating raw veggies and hated pasta) and brace yourself, is determined to cut down on coffee (which he easily guzzles litres of) and horror of horrors and has declared that he will have rice on rare occasions!! Yikes.
I'm finding it hard to recognize this person who is shedding all the traits that made him a Tam-brahm. The delicious irony is that he told me of his rice abandonment program just after I'd polished off a serving of sambhar rice!
How in the world am I going to explain these changes to my MIL? Gulp. Yelp. I mean, Help!

9 comments:

Anuradha Sridhar said...

Hehehehe :)) Sumi, I hope to recognise both of you when I meet you next! :)

unpredictable said...

paagal ladki. PAAGAL.

Quirky Quill said...

Anu- when are you coming to Singapore? seriously.
Unpred- I'm pot.You are kettle. And you just called me black.

SD said...

My God, so much of running, both of you are going to be the fittest people around I think. Keep it going, I am vicariously enjoying the fitness regime.

unpredictable said...

Eh you know what? I'm actually inspired by your boy's madness. I'm going to do crazy things to get in shape too. Tell him he inspires. :D

Quirky Quill said...

GM- Thank you for outsourcing your fitness regime to me :P
Unpred- How about acknowledging my contribution in this inspiration?hmm?

Unknown said...

wow...very impressive sumi...actually i am a little shocked but guess will try turning it into some positive motivation for myself. I am sure Srini will be very happy :-)))

Anonymous said...

Hey I hope discussions with the idiot that happens to be my husband did not cause M to abandon rice! If its any consolation, the man here has gone bonkers over Whey protein! Men!

Quirky Quill said...

Kaivs- yup..do that. And you can tell Srini I accept gifts when ppl want to express gratitude.
Panda- I have a feeling it did :) My kitchen has more dabbas of whey protein than flour! I fear someday the maid will make rotis out of it :P