Saturday, September 20, 2008

Thrilled/Thumped

Thrilled
....with the fact that I too can make good filter coffee (if the decoction has already been made).
....by my 4 km run (10 laps. nonstop.28 mins)
....by the new age Hindi movies that are so real- characters are not outlandish, no one's larger than life, the situations are something you can identify with and the issues gritty, thought-provoking and controversial. ( I watched Jaane Tu, Rock On, A wednesday, Khuda Kay Liye over the past few weeks). 
....by how last weekend totally revived lacklustre life- Danced till 4 am after a really long time and the company made it all worthwhile. Good friends, I've figured are the effortless panacea to all problems....they might not be able to solve a lot of the problems but they do end up making you feel as though those issues dont really matter in the larger scheme of things.
....with the evolution of tourism boards in des- try the Kerela Tourism's tour planner. I was completely enamored by the beautiful images and the ease with which I could plan a Kerela trip (that's saying something coz I've never been there). The Tour Planner feature even recommends improvements on your travel plan and has accomodation+ayurveda centres listings depending on which locations you selected. 
....with Mint- I never knew HT could produce such a superb newspaper. 
....by my new bar cabinet- it's gorgeous and at the throwaway price we got it, it just became even more endearing.
....by finally being able to redeem miles for an SQ ticket to Delhi. I feel quite accomplished now.
....with my new pulley system clothesline that helped kick the earlier grotesque eye level clothesline out of business. Boley toh, ekdum neat and clean.
....by Singapore's efficiency in delivering what you need, when you need it- gas cylinder delivered in 20 minutes flat. How do they do it?

Thumped.....
......by how stupid & sans-common sense people at work can be. Do they not realize when things dont make sense and border on the plain ridiculous or do they realize and care not, simply because they have become conditioned to respect process and system more than simple logic?
....by existential angst that is surfacing a lot more and making me restless and uncomfortable. How long can escapism be my weapon of choice?
....by terrorism and how pointless this loss of lives is. I understand the kidnap and ransom mechanic-but dont quite get the objective being served by bringing death to ordinary people going about their daily lives?Yeah, okay maybe they want attention to their cause- but what the hell is the cause? Do they want land, money, moral supremacy...what? They are holding our security and sanity to ransom but havent really told us what they want. Or is the untimely snuffing out of lives, the price of misguided ideology and individual vendetta that ballooned into something monstrous? Is co-existence so tough? Restraint and tolerance so rare? Intelligent debates in living rooms are not the solution-but what is? I hate the vilification of one particular community or complete nonchalance, the standard response of people around us but know that merely having a strong opinion on this makes my response no better. Sigh. 

****Resuming the Europe diaries over this weeekend. Heck, it's time for the first anniversary of that trip :) Inertia needs to die.

10 comments:

SD said...

Sounds like you were having quite an eventful time. Really appreciate your running, good way to keep up your fitness levels. Keep going lady!

Anonymous said...

awesome!!!

Show us a picture of the bar cabinet!

Quirky Quill said...

GM-:)yaar...your message couldnt have come at a better time-the man ran 10 km today. if my feet dont kill me, the inferiority complex will.

Chandni- next post! :)

SD said...

10 kms?? you moving into professional sports or something??? I can't run to save my life, walking is fine, but no running.
And inferiority complex about running 10kms, am I missing out on something or are you from another planet??

unpredictable said...

Empathy sent from here to there, where the shiny bar cabinets reside. Sigh. I'll tell you stories over coffee and we can laugh. ok? ok! :D

Quirky Quill said...

GM-10 km is what M ran!! my BEST has been a measly 4 km. context: we've both enrolled for a 10 km fun run during the singapore marathon. Not too much fun :(

Quirky Quill said...

Unpred- my bar cabinet's most pleased. I look fwd to the funny stories!

Mahogany said...

the first time i ordered gas in sing and asked when they would send it, the guy said "now". I'm like "what doe you mean 'now'"? "Now", he repeated. And sure enough, within less than 5 minutes (I am not exaggerating) the doorbell rang and the gasman had cometh!
a very far cry from hindustan petroleum in mumbai...

Anuradha Sridhar said...

Haven't seen Wednesday and Khuda Ke Liye yet ... did you like "Yeh tumhari meri baatein"? Can't take the song off my head :)

Quirky Quill said...

Mahogany- welcom back! havent seen you here in a while..but then i havent even written in a while. that makes us even.
Anu- I love "yeh tumhaari meri baatein"!! it has the texture of a gentle breeze. Really addicted to it myself.