Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Office crimes

Always brought on a smirk.-this sign in my office loo which told visitors to flush the toilet, throw waste in the basket and show courtesy to the next user. I wondered why they'd bothered to put such a stupid sign up. We were all educated grown ups who presumably had been toilet trained and did possess some basic sense of hygiene.
Imagine my shock then when at 8 pm today evening, I walked into a loo that resembled an unkempt public loo which had the tap open, tissue paper strewn on the floor and horror of horrors, the flush signal furiously blinking red!
The smirk has turned into dismay and disgust. Though guilty of hiring some process donkeys, my company has on an average, done a reasonably good job of hiring smart people. No one I know could I associate with such idiotic behavior. This is not an unwilling fart in the lift that you can try and fail to ignore. It just smacks of apathy, for what kind of hurry could induce such wilful neglect and indifference? What excuse could justify this utter lack of regard for others?

Now I'm wondering why that sign isn't in font size 42 because clearly a gentle reminder is not enough for people who work late but whose sense of shame has left early. Or why the instructions aren't more detailed with pictures & bold illustrations because clearly some of us haven't surpassed toddlers in matters of comprehension and propriety. Or why the cleaning staff must bear the brunt of these office crimes while the guilty roam scot free, making presentations to unsuspecting colleagues.

3 comments:

Anuradha Sridhar said...

Hmm. Was of the mistaken notion that it-happens-only-in-India, but it clearly isn't so.

My sympathies.

Anonymous said...

Aparently Singaporeans need to be told and reminded constantly about basic stuff like that.

I feel angry for the bathroom cleaners who have to deal with such crap day in and day out.

PS;I like you your tag-label--Oh So Random--my favourite is Random Crap.

Quirky Quill said...

añu & asaaan-neglect has no nationality. What's disconcerting is that for all the outer style and glamour, basics are missing.