Monday, July 13, 2009

The Leap

So there's this list that I made at the start of the year- stuff to do before I turn 30.
I made the list in January and the opportunity for that first tick came in... January! After which there was a lull- at least with respect to the list. And then I lost the list-sure I retained about 40% of the items in my head but a list pruned down by half aint good enough and I couldn't just make a new list. So I searched high and low and then gave up and then almost as always, the list turned up when I was looking for a completely different thing. So the resurfacing of the list is going to be marked by a record of that first tick on the blog and by active efforts in accomplishing the other 29 things on that list.
The list is not known to anyone but myself and this is by design. Most of the items are in my control. There are some that relate to others- family and friends. Some of it is plain outrageous stuff which does lead me to question my state of mind when writing that list, 6 months back. But well, the ink is spilt on the paper and it is nothing but my mortal duty to obey the letter. It promises to be fun :)
Oh yes and here is proof of accomplishment of my first task- The Bungee Jump!!!
Kawarau Bridge, New Zealand
There are those who hesitate; those who look to the familiar face in the crowd for support; those who succeed a person who broke down and gave up; those who follow a person who swoops down like an eagle; those who scream their lungs out and then there are others who do all of the above. But it does not matter because once you have fought every cell of your body which is telling you not to jump, braved a height of 43m and just walked off the ledge after saying " Dammit. I can do this"..... you'll still be mighty hilarious to the crowds who take pleasure in hearing you scream "Help me" after the jump's done and as you are about to be brought down into the boat. That the crowds who witnessed the moment of truth include the husband, who made for an elegant jumper (in the words of the AJ Hackett folks) and who by the way, also recorded all of this on video, do not help the respectful cause of bragging rights.
What was funnier thought was the family reaction:
My mom: "You shouldn't do insane stuff like this."
My brother: "Did your contacts not fall out?" (yes- that is the first thing he asked me)
My brother again: " Be careful" ( this is after I've done the bungee yeah?)
Would I do it again? The adrenaline rush is completely worth it and I have a very persuasive adventure buff for a spouse-but at my core, I'm a scaredy cat who can be described as risk averse. So the short answer is, I don't know. The fact that I'm willing to consider doing another bungee, in itself marks a significant improvement over the "me" of past.
Here's to 29 more such life improving measures.

7 comments:

Miss M said...

I have always wanted to go to new zealand for their famous bungee-jumping!! If all goes well, I might go there next year. :)

It really was fun, wasnt it?
I'm getting excited from now itself!

Lovely post. :)

D said...

That's one thing I think I have it in me to do! I'm just looking for a fairly low bungee to jump from ;)

SD said...

Eloquently written, and that too about bungee jumping? And I am all curious to know what's on that list now QQ! I have no such list.... :( The only thing I had wanted to do was get a tattoo, but I have dropped the idea for now.

Anuradha Sridhar said...

I have to admit that the question on contacts came to my mind too when I had seen the snaps earlier!! :)

30 before 30 sounds good .. anything coming up in the near future?

Quirky Quill said...

Miss M- Bungee was scary but the after effects are amazing! I remember being on a high for the next 2 days! And no better place than NZ- home of the first commerical bungy!

D- It's not about the height :) it's about going against your natural instinct!

GM- Thanks :) Well, I can only talk about the things on the list that get done- that's the deal! What stops you from getting a tattoo?

Anu- LOL. Well, i'm going to get a little more deliberate about doing the other stuff on that list-been procastinating for far too long.

Anonymous said...

I will be turning 32 this Nov(damm I feel old) and have a list of 12 things before 40. Some pretty huge, some very small, 1 already crossed off..

Its good to have lists, makes one works towards something.

Unknown said...

I think the first step to getting the courage to do the bungee jump is to try not to jump out of your skin everytime you spot a spider 100 yards away!!