Monday, January 21, 2008

Hello Vice-How Nice (Last Day in Paris-12th Sept)

The last day in the French capital served us some measures of vice and some of virtue-won't really call them equal but well, it was a fairly palatable mix.
Of Sloth & slumber
Because we had the laziest start to a day
Of Sleepless charity
Because I spent a near sleepless night, sneezing but smothering most of my sneezes for fear that I might wake up the other 5 people in the room.
Of Expensive Expression of love
Because we sent postcards to our nears & dears (& later, discovered that we had reached home before they did!)
Of Spectacular views & God's glory
Because we preferred the view of the mortal kingdom (Paris from Sacre Coeur hill top) than the gateway to the heavenly one (the Basilica of the Sacred Heart)
Of gluttony and greed
Because I consumed in excess- the 3 C's I love- coffee, crepe & caramel custard.
Of lust on sale
Because we took the train around Montmartre and went through Pigalle- the red light district of Paris and because I found the openness of the "business" conduct shocking.
Of the prudish image in the mirror
Because I found myself wondering how I'd react to Amsterdam if and when I visit.
Of kindness & kinship
Because the Indian guy who asked us our nationality was not making a pass at us, but rather trying to warn us because his bag got stolen in a bus and he didn't want us meeting a similar fate.
Of moving on , yet not moving away
Because though I left Bercy, Paris in the fall of 2007-I know this is not the last we've seen of each other.
Au Revoir, Paris- Phir Milenge.

No comments: