Monday, January 14, 2008

Power Of One

M and I added excitement to our lives by welcoming two glass showcases into the living room There’s a bookshelf too- wait till you hear the story on that one….
Just to be clear, this is all Ikea furniture- cheap, functional etc- where you pick up doors, shelves, cabinets etc on your own and wait 2 weeks for them to get delivered. (don’t worry, these facts are relevant to the story).
So, there were these two delivery guys who came and started assembling the showcases. After they finished, they turned their attention to the book shelf- while they were assembling that one, one of them had an a-ha moment and he asked us “where do you want me to put the door”- I found that absurd..surely there was only one place for a door to be put, esp. since we weren’t asking him to plug it any room, but on a bookshelf with had grooves for the door and that sort of a thing.
And then it became clear- they had got only 1 door with them (one door for a twin door book shelf!!) And then he came up with the most hilarious thing I’ve heard in a long time- “Should I put it on the left side or right side”) Who orders a bookshelf with one door?? Apparently M did!!
Ooh M. He assumed that being the door package for the "twin door bookshelf", it would be a set of two- which it wasn't.
With the result, that now I have a one door bookshelf, which looks like a “kaana” pirate, right there in my living room!! I have named him Neo-the One. Why do I say "him"- well, just that I haven't heard of any fair maidens who answer to the call of Neo.
Coming back to Neo- neo, we can’t let it be that way-as much as it amuses us. We did go back to Ikea, where we bought another door, which will arrive in 2 weeks.
Please don’t judge me for naming bookshelves. I’m not psychotic. Just plain bored.
************************************************************************************
All in good fun. Is there any other kind of fun?
Exhibit 1 Good friend D's response to my status message "on a protest march against boredom"
D: ghar pe bhi boredom? why dont u chat with x:P
QQ: oh then that would mean i have to make another entry on my anon blog...won't it?:P
D: ur anon blog link doesnt work
QQ: LOL LOL LOL you dumbass...it wont be an anon blog if i post the link there..would it?
D: :-( haan
Exhibit 2 Random request on Facebook:
ABC sent a request using What does your birth date mean?:ABC wants you to find out what your birth date means.
Hmm. Let me think. It means I was on born on that day. It means that there is proof that there is life on this planet that started on that day. It means that if you let people make useless applications, there's a good chance they'll do just that. It also means that I will twist your neck silly if you send me these random requests again.

10 comments:

Mahogany said...

Did I mention that I've named my portable hard drive?

Quirky Quill said...

naam kya hai? (hope you haven't stolen Neo's name! :)

Mahogany said...

No, no. Her name is Rowen. Because she is red.

Anonymous said...

umm....I have named my body parts!

*runs away before she turns redder"

Quirky Quill said...

Chandni- umm....don't we all? ;) thanks for dropping by!

Anonymous said...

Lol.... I can trust M to assume that they'd understand that you can only order for 2-doors. We've had long conversations where he just thinks its natural for the world to work at par with his level of intelligence :)

Although this case is truly comic .. It makes me wonder whether the guys at Ikea are so dumb to allow such orders or are there people in the world you order such "neo" style bookshelves!

BTW, I am missing you guys now!!

Quirky Quill said...

saumil-simple solution. singapore aaja :)Aao na?

SD said...

Hey, you just copied my son's name for your Bookcase. I will tell him about it once he grows up some more. Hope you are liking the book case now, with both the doors.

SD said...

By the way another amazing blog as usual.

Quirky Quill said...

hey IB-I hope your son doesnt sue me after he grows up and I also hope he encapsulates the wisdom of the 60 odd books that Neo keeps safe.
& thanks :)