Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Send me to Rehab

The thing about blogging is that it’s rather addictive- in both active and passive forms.
If you’ve cared to notice, my blogging frequency for this month has surpassed the number of posts I wrote in all of 2006. Earlier the question was umm, should I blog this month? Now, there are times when during a regular day I catch myself framing a sentence for my blog or thinking whether what I just said or did was blog-worthy. Waste of time-not really. Evolution of expression- arguably. Addiction- most definitely.

I like reading a few blogs and sometimes when I over-do it (read 5-6 posts one after the other), it wreaks havoc-I can hear stray phrases and sentences- incoherent little devils that float in my mind-it’s almost as exhausting as having long conversations with people, till your phone battery gives up and as addictive as multiple doses of caffeine! (Would have compared it to smoking-but nah..passive smoking isn’t addictive-esp not when smoke makes me sneeze. A lot.).

I do think I’ll have to trim the habit down a bit because these are not the only things I read. The mainstay still remains the world of books, newspapers and magazines. Those I shall definitely not give up or cut back on. And since my day job teaches me that my basket is finite and that for whatever I put in, something needs to go out- I’m wondering whether my greedy self can give up anything at all.
This year giving up exercise is not an option-fatness makes me banish the thought. Sleep defies all restraint & will power .Shopping is a necessary evil. Cooking-a cathartic timepass. TV is hardly visible behind the nine yard sarees & the 2 cm radius bindis that dominate the screen most of the time. What then do I sacrifice at the altar..who shall be the (blog)ificial lamb?
Aha, I think it will have to be Facebook-the connector to all acquaintances. I think I can save about 15 minutes a day if I don’t respond to any requests, do not take any mindless quizzes and ignore all application requests which ask me if my friends think I’m a hottie; what type of a stuffed animal I am and whether I think I am a bookshelf.
Now…which blog should I read in those 15 mins??

12 comments:

rayshma said...

lol! blog-hopped from mahogany's! and decided to say hi, since i liked ur space... :) welcome to d blog-addicts club! i admire u folks who work & manage to blog. i really do! :)

Unknown said...

I think its really sad that even your own thoughts of "how you feel you are blogging too much" becomes a blog ... kind of self-defeating right? I am mean if it was a genuine thought and you meant to act on it, you wouldnt blog and say i am going to start blogging lesser.

Anonymous said...

dAMN.. such situations happen to me too.. i too thought that this was a bit to weird..

Quirky Quill said...

Rayshma-welcome and thanks! and well, we don't really work u know-its a giant cover up. Ask mahogany :)

I-420: I never said I dislike blogging. But yeah, point on an inordinate point spent on blogging, well taken. Havent reached crazy limits yet.I know you'll stop me before I do.

Vaibhav: Welcome to the weirdo club. The first step to denial is realization.

Mahogany said...

Ah Facebook. It's good stuff but if I ever see Mortimer the freaking bear in real life I'll rip his cutesy head off.

Quirky Quill said...

For some reason, Mortimer reminded me of Mortein.More smart, more safe.Mortein. Does the bear have a jingle?

Anonymous said...

Ohh ... you'll save more than just 15 mins if you skip on most of the facebook junk! The amount of apps people add each day is not funny ... its quite ironic that what got facebook so many pageviews is now going to make the same nose dive ... Atleast, that's my feeling. I have long given up on most things facebook, esp. the apps!

Quirky Quill said...

saumil-facebook is umm, going downhill but well, its at least better than orkut!!

S said...

But then again- Facebook- tis addictive- sigh!

unpredictable said...

Mine mine!!!
(Really, you'd know better than to end with an open ended question liddat no?)

Quirky Quill said...

Anansi- repeat after me- "we shall overcome".

Unpred- rhetoric was lost on you. And just in case u missed it, there you are-on the blogroll.height of oversight. or...Oversight from a height :)

Unknown said...

You're getting pretty good at blogging. In fact, reading your blog is threatening to be one of my addictions